GMOs are Genetically Modified Organisms (also called Genetically Engineered or Transgenic organisms). Genes from one species are transferred into another species, such as the genes a bacteria uses to make the Bt toxin transferred into corn.
Unless you have been deliberately avoiding them, you are almost certainly eating these organisms. Perhaps you assume the FDA has tested these foods and found them to be safe. Learn more about GMOs and then decide for yourself:
- The Institute for Responsible Technology has a GMO Education menu covering many topics in plain English. Their Links menu can take you even farther. The easiest way to learn about GMOs is to watch their movie “Genetic Roulette” on Amazon.
- International Journal of Biological Sciences:
- GMO Myths and Truths Report
- Institute for Responsible Technology has a long footnoted list of studies of health risks.
- Some studies also mentioned in articles below.
Articles and Columnists:
- The Atlantic, Marion Nestle: “Debunking the Health Claims of Genetically Modified Foods“
- Marion Nestle: “Petitions to label GM foods deserve support.” She was on the FDA advisory committee when FDA approved the first GM foods.
- N.Y. Times: “Battle Brewing Over Labeling of GM Food”
- Huffington Post: “Monsanto’s GMO Corn Linked To Organ Failure, Study Reveals“
- Star Tribune: “Study ties GMO corn, soybeans to butterfly losses“
- Scientific American:
- The Grist: “USDA moves to let Monsanto perform its own environmental impact studies on GMOs“
- Food Democracy Now
- GMO-Free NY
- Millions Against Monsanto
- Non-GMO Project
- Non-GMO Shopping Guide can help you find out which foods are GM.
- Organic Consumers Association
Movies and Videos:
- Genetic Roulette
- Dr. Philip Bereano, Professor Emeritus, University of Washington
- Dr. Huber: “The Hidden Epidemic Destroying your Gut Flora“
- Jeffrey Smith: “Everything You Have to Know About Dangerous GMO Foods” Consider starting 12 minutes in and then going back to the beginning.
- The World According to Monsanto
- Dr. Oz
- Good collection of videos at the Norwegian site Monsanto.NO
- Food, Inc., PBS
- Unnatural Selection, award-winning European documentary
- Hidden Dangers in Kids’ Meals: Genetically Engineered Foods